Makes 6 generous servings.
This is a creamy soup for all seasons with a definite bell pepper taste and a distinct gorgeous color no matter which bell peppers you choose. I have recently purchased a Vitamix, and now I prefer it to a blender when making soups.
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 garlic cloves, quartered
4 orange bell peppers, rinsed, cored, seeded and cut into large pieces
½ pound Golden Yukon potatoes, peeled, quartered
14.5 ounce can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
2 cups vegetable broth
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon chili powder
Freshly ground black pepper
Cilantro leaves for garnish
- In a medium covered saucepan, heat the olive oil, add garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, broth sugar and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, lower heat and cook slowly, covered, until potatoes are soft, about 25 minutes.
- Cool a bit.
- Puree in batches in a blender until very smooth (you will have to blend this soup longer than usual to make sure that there are no traces of the pepper skin). The Vitamix is a time saver and improves the texture of the soup, making it more silky and creamy.
- Season to taste and garnish with cilantro leaves.
This soup freezes well, but when reheating, whisk it as it begins to boil to bring back the creamy texture