Makes 8 servings.
Since the ingredients for this creamy, delicious soup are available in all seasons, you can serve it hot, at room temperature or cold, depending on the season. I like it best served cold or at room temperature in warm weather
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, quartered
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled, sliced, reserving 1 carrot for garnish
- 1 cup dry white wine.
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander.
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, approx
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground back pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, wine, 5 cups of broth, cumin, coriander, and chili powder. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Puree the soup, in batches, in a Vitamiix until smooth.
- Adjust the consistency with the reserved broth.
- Season to taste with lemon juice, cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- To serve: steam the remaining carrot until just tender. Grate coarsely and garnish.