Makes 4 first course servings, 4-6 side dish servings.
The combination of all these ingredients makes for an unusual nutty flavor. It is amazing what a versatile vegetable cauliflower can be.
- ½ cup tahini
- Grated zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, approx
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 large head cauliflower, about 21/2 pounds
- ½ cup cashews, toasted, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, or flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 500F.
- Cut and discard the stem off the cauliflower. Cut the cauliflower head into 1½ to 2 inch florets and rinse.
- Line a large baking sheet (12 by 18) with heavy foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the tahini, lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt, paprika and pepper. It is easier to combine with a wooden spoon. Add the cauliflower and toss well.
- Spread it all on the baking sheet and bake on the lowest rack of the oven.
- Roast until well browned and just tender, about 13-15 minutes.
- Gather all the cauliflower to center of baking sheet and season to taste, with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add cashews, cilantro or parsley.