Makes 6 generous servings.
This is a silky, nutritious soup that tastes rich without the addition of any cream.
People are always impressed with the elegance of this soup, and it is very simple to prepare.
- 4 leeks
- 2 medium celery roots, about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 thyme sprigs, plus some for garnish
- 5 ½ cups chicken broth
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut off and discard the roots and tough green leaves of the leeks. Cut the white part and light green part into small pieces. Place in a sieve and rinse thoroughly under cold running water to remove all the sand.
- Peel celery root carefully and remove all embedded dark spots. (This rough looking vegetable is a bit tricky to peel.)
- Cut into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan with a cover, add the leeks and sauté covered for 5 minutes. Add the celery root, thyme and 5 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and cook covered for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and discard. Puree in a Vitamix until smooth.
- Adjust the consistency with the reserved broth and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with thyme petals.