Makes 8 servings.
This soup has a silky, creamy consistency without the addition of cream, a beautiful pale yellow color and a touch of sweetness. The ingredients for the soup are readily available all year round. The inspiration came from Mexican cuisine, which is rich in corn, lime, and cilantro. I am featuring a revised version of this soup, one of my favorites, because the advent of Vitamix makes this soup so easy to make.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds frozen corn, thawed
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, approx
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground white or black pepper
- Cilantro petals for garnish
- In a medium saucepan heat the olive oil, add onions and garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add the broth and the corn. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup, in batches, in a Vitamix until very smooth.
- Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cilantro petals.
This soup freezes very well. When reheating whisk it as it boils to bring back the creamy consistency