Makes 6 servings.
This soup is a blend of interesting strong flavors. I serve it either at room temperature or hot.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ pound Golden Yukon potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds tomatoes, rinsed, cored and cut into large pieces
- 1 bunch watercress, stems removed, rinsed (3 cups loosely packed). Reserve a few petals for garnish
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a medium covered saucepan. Add onion and garlic and sauté over low heat for 5 minutes. Add 1½ cups broth, potatoes and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook, covered, until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add watercress and cook covered for 2 minutes.
- Puree in a Vitamix, in 2 batches, until smooth.
- Adjust the consistency with the reserved broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with watercress petals.