Makes 6 servings.
This tart winter dessert is easy to prepare. It is gluten free, nutritious and can be served from oven to table.
You can enhance the flavor by serving it with chocolate sorbet.
- 8 tablespoons chilled margarine, cut into ½ inch cubes, plus 1 tablespoon for greasing the flan dish.
- 1 cup ground almond flour, not blanched (See Note)
- 1/3 generous cup sugar
- ¾ cup blanched sliced almonds
- 3 medium Greening apples
- 1 tablespoon cognac or fruit flavored brandy
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Grease a 10 inch by 1 ½ inches glass or ceramic flan dish.
- Combine the almond flour, sugar and almonds in a large bowl. Add the margarine and rub with your hands to make a coarse mixture. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into ½ inch pieces. Place the fruit in a bowl and toss with the liquor of your choice.
- Spread the fruit in the bottom of the dish. Top evenly with the almond crumble.
- Bake the Apple Cobbler until topping is golden, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.
- The cobbler can be assembled in a few hours in advance, refrigerated and baked straight from the refrigerator.
I use Bob’s Red Mill ground unblanched almond flour.