Makes 6 servings.
This well chilled compote garnished with berries is a delicious end to a summer meal. Rhubarb is a summer fruit full of potassium and vitamin C.
- 1 pound rhubarb, 3-4 stalks
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/3 generous cup sugar
- ½ vanilla bean
- Assortment of berries, optional
- Trim the rhubarb stalks, pull the stringy fibers and rinse. Cut crosswise into thin slices.
- Place into a non-reactive medium covered saucepan and add the water, wine, sugar and vanilla bean.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and boil for about 5 minutes, or until the rhubarb is soft.
- Discard the vanilla bean when serving.
Serve chilled with an assortment of berries.