Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
These, delicious, dainty cookies keep for a long time, refrigerated. They are perfect for Passover or all year round.
- 11 ounces blanched almonds
- 2/3 scant cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature, lightly beaten with a fork
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 12x18 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 9 ounces of the almonds in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and chop until medium fine, do it in two batches. Keep the rest for the tops.
- Transfer to a bowl and add sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest. Fold in the egg whites and combine well (a wooden spoon helps). Let rest for a few minutes to allow the egg whites to absorb.
- With wet hands roll flat teaspoons of the mixture unto smooth balls. Place on the prepared baking sheet and top each cookie with reserved whole almond (from time to time, rinse your hands).
- Bake for about 16 minutes or until the tops feel lightly firm to the touch.
- Right away gently release the macaroons (a metal spatula helps) and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container with wax paper between the layers.