Makes 12 servings.
This flan is gluten free, light, and very easy to make. It stays moist refrigerated and even frozen.
I like to serve it cold with an assortment of berries and sorbet.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted margarine at room temperature cut into small pieces, plus 1 tablespoon for greasing the flan dish
- ¼ cup imported unsweetened cocoa powder, plus some for dusting
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup finely ground almond flour with skin (See Note)
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Grease a 10 x 1½ inch flan dish.
- Place margarine and cocoa in a double boiler and stir until smooth.
- Place the eggs in a bowl of an electric mixer. Using the balloon whisk attachment, beat the eggs, at medium speed, gradually adding the sugar for 5 minutes. Add the cocoa and fold well with a large rubber spatula. Fold almond flour until very well combined.
- Pour the batter into the dish and bake the flan in the center of the oven for 30 minutes or until just set. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with cocoa powder.
I use Bob’s Red Mill almond flour with skin. It is readily available in all health food stores. It is simply unblanched almonds ground to a flour texture. Once the bag is opened, I keep mine in the freezer to have on hand.