Makes 6 servings.
This is a delicious, gluten free dessert, which I serve from oven to table. My favorite fruit for this cobbler are the large Italian plums. Unfortunately they only appear late in the season so I often use regular plums. To make this dish more special, you can serve it with sorbet or ice cream depending whether you use margarine or butter. Also you can make this dessert in individual ramekins.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted margarine/butter chilled and cut into ½ inch cubes, plus ½ tablespoon for greasing the flan dish
- 1 cup ground almond flour with skin (See Note)
- 1/3 generous cup sugar
- ¾ cup blanched almonds, 3 ounces, sliced or chopped
- 6 red plums or 8 -10 large Italian plums
- 1 tablespoon cognac or fruit-flavored brandy
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Grease a 10 by 1½ inch ceramic or glass flan dish.
- Combine the almond flour, sugar and almonds in a large bowl. Add the margarine or butter and rub with your hands until the mixture is combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Rinse the plums, pit them and cut into ½ inch pieces. Place the fruit in a bowl and toss with the liqueur of your choice.
- Spread the fruit in the bottom of the dish. Top evenly with the almond crumble.
- Bake the cobbler until the topping is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.
- This cobbler can be assembled a few hours in advance, refrigerated and baked straight from the refrigerator.
I use Bob’s Red Mill almond flour with skin. It is readily available in all health food stores. It is simply unbleached almonds ground to a flour texture. Once opened, I keep mine in the freezer to have on hand.