Makes 4 servings.
This is an easy, convenient and healthy fall and winter dessert when one craves something warm to end a meal. This dish can also be reheated.
FOR THE WALNUT FILLING:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine, melted
- 4 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
FOR THE APPLES:
- 4 medium Macintosh apples
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Combine the walnut filling
- Rinse the apples. With a melon scooper, scoop out the center core from the top of the apples without piercing the bottom.
- Peel half of the apple from the top. Prick the rest of the skin with the tip of a knife to keep it from bursting,
- Fill the center with walnut filling pressing the filling down.
- Place apples in an ovenproof dish. Combine wine and water and pour over the apples.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, basting the apples occasionally until they are soft and still retain their shape.
- Serve warm.