Makes 12 servings.
Light, spongy, and delicious, this cake keeps well refrigerated or frozen. I serve it plain or with berries or sorbet.
- 5 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup extra dry light sherry
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus ¾ tablespoon for greasing the pan
- Grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting the pan.
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons confectioners sugar for dusting the cake.
- Brush well with oil a 12 cup Bundt pan. Dust with flour, invert and tap to remove excess flour.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Beat the egg yolks in the bowl of an electric stand mixer using a balloon whisk attachment, at medium speed, adding sugar gradually, until pale and bubbly, about 4 minutes.
- Whisk in gradually the sherry and oil. With a large rubber spatula add the lemon zest and gradually the flour, combining well.
- Beat egg whites, at high speed. When foamy add the salt and beat until stiff.
- With a rubber spatula fold half of the whites into the batter. Then the rest of the whites. Gradually fold the batters together making a motion like a figure 8 until all the whites have disappeared.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. It will fall a bit.
- Release the edges and transfer to a serving plate. Dust with confectioners sugar.