Makes 4 servings.
Prunes are really dried plums that have enormous health benefits. This is a delicious, versatile dessert that I like to serve warm, either as is or with a dollop of chocolate sorbet and biscotti.
- 1 ½ cups good quality dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 vanilla bean, cut into very thin slices
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 7 ounces pitted prunes (See Note)
- Zest from one orange, cut into thin strips, optional
- In a small saucepan with a cover, combine wine, honey, vanilla bean and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Add prunes, bring to a boil and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick and add the zest.
Prunes come in 7 ounce packages.