Makes 4 servings.
This herb accented, healthy salad can be a meal by itself.
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt.
- 12 medium size Brussels sprouts
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, approx
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, approx
- 10 tarragon sprigs, petals pulled off, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound rib eye steak (Delmonico)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salad greens, such as hearts of Romaine lettuce, or to your liking.
- In a heavy small saucepan with a cover bring to a boil over high heat the water, salt and lentils. Lower the heat and simmer covered for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. If the lentils are not ready and all the water is absorbed add 1-2 tablespoons hot water and continue cooking. Transfer to a bowl and cool.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Trim the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and discard outer damaged leaves.
- Cut into halves. Place on the baking sheet, mix with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 30 minutes, or until tender. Cool and add to the lentils.
- Season the lentils and the Brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, mustard and salt. Add tarragon and parsley and combine. Set aside.
- Pat dry the meat with paper towels and cut into 1-2 inch strips.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in wok or heavy skillet and stir fry the meat quickly over high heat until the meat is just seared. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the greens on the bottom of a bowl, sprinkle lightly with olive oil, salt and pepper. Add lentils with Brussels sprouts and top with the meat.