Makes 6 -servings.
This side dish, which combines grains and vegetables, is nutritious and delicious. It’s a bit sweet, a bit crunchy and quite tasty.
- 3 tablespoons extra -virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup medium pearl barley
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ pound parsnips, peeled and coarsely grated (See Note)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Petals from 4 thyme sprigs
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the barley and 1 ½ cup of broth. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook covered for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time. The barley should be soft and the broth almost absorbed.
- Transfer the barley to a dish.
- Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan, add the parsnips and ½ cup of remaining broth. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered until the parsnips are semi-soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the barley and combine. Season with salt, pepper and add thyme.
I use the medium grating attachment of the food processor to grate the parsnips.