Makes 4-6 servings.
This dish is a salad for all seasons since the ingredients are available throughout the year.
To make this dish more wholesome you can add firm tofu, cubed and sautéed or cheese of your choice.
- ¾ cup pearled farro
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 small bunch broccoli, about ¾ pounds
- ¼ pound haricots verts, or string beans
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered chili pepper, approx
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, approx
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, approx
- Place the farro, vegetable broth and salt in a small saucepan with a cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes, or until the farro is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Place in a large bowl and cool.
- Steam the zucchini for 1 minute, cube and cool. Add to the farro.
- Trim and discard the stem end of the beans and steam until almost tender, about 3 minutes and cool. Add to the farro.
- Separate the broccoli into small florets and steam until almost tender, about 3 minutes and cool. Add to the farro.
TO MAKE THE DRESSING:
- Place the sesame seeds, garlic, chili and ginger in a small skillet. Stir to slightly toast; it will take about 3 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and warm together for another minute. Remove from the heat, add mustard and honey combining well.
- Add lemon juice and salt.
- Dress the salad with the dressing and adjust the seasoning with mustard, honey, lemon juice and salt.