Makes 4 -6 servings.
I like the nutty, earthy flavor of this nutritious dish. Cooking the quinoa with some carrot juice perks up the flavor. You can easily pair this dish with tofu, salmon or poultry.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 medium shallots, diced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 inch ginger, peeled, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, approx
- ½ cup carrot juice (See Note)
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, approx
- Kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan with a cover, heat the oil, add the carrot and shallots and cook stirring over medium/low heat, covered until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and cook stirring over low heat, until the quinoa is fragrant and beginning to pop, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin and ginger. Add the carrot juice, and water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook over low heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 13 minutes.
- Stir with a fork to fluff the grains, Add the almonds, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season to taste with cumin, lemon juice and salt.
Carrot juice is available in most supermarkets and health food stores.