Makes 4 servings.
Leeks are relatives of onions, but sweeter with a firm bite. This vegetable compliments any dish, and it is so simple to prepare.
- 4 leeks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 sage leaves torn into small pieces
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut off and discard dangling roots and most of the green part of the leeks. Discard one or two of the tough outer leaves.
- Cut the white and light green parts of the leeks into thin slices. Place in a sieve and rinse thoroughly under cold running water to remove any sand. Drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan until hot. Add the leeks and sage. Braise, covered, over low heat, stirring from time to time, for about 15 minutes, or until the leeks are almost soft.
- Season with salt and pepper.