Makes 8 servings.
Red cabbage seems to be a neglected vegetable, even though it is more nutritious than white cabbage and more flavorful. This easy-to-prepare salad compliments most dishes.
- 1 small head of red cabbage, about 1½ pounds
- 2-3 tablespoons extra- virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice, approx
- ½ cup toasted blanched almonds
- ½ cup tightly packed mint leaves, coarsely chopped.
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Discard limp and discolored outer leaves.
- Quarter the cabbage. Holding on to the core, finely shred the cabbage. Discard the core.
- Place the cabbage in a large bowl and toss it with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add the almonds and mint. Let stand for a few minutes and then season to taste.
- If prepared a day before, adjust the seasoning and add fresh mint.