Makes 4 servings.
These eggplants are well flavored, delicious and so easy to prepare.
- 4 baby eggplants
- Extra -virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons white miso paste
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Chives, cut into long pieces, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and grease it with olive oil.
- Trim the eggplants at both ends. Peel close to the flesh, cut in half and cut deeps slits into the flesh. Sprinkle lightly with salt and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze each eggplant gently to remove moisture.
- Combine the miso, mirin and sugar into a paste. Place the eggplants on the baking sheet and spoon the paste over the eggplants.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and roast for another 20 minutes. The eggplants should be soft and well browned.
- Garnish with chives.