Makes 4-6 servings.
There are many varieties of lentils but I like the French green variety. This salad is a good accompaniment to most fish, poultry, meat or you can eat it on its own.
- 1 cup French Green lentils
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 3 tablespoons extra -virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 scallions including green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- Place lentils and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender (if the lentils are not ready and all the water is absorbed add 1-2 tablespoons of hot water and continue cooking).
- Transfer the lentils to a medium bowl. Toss with the oil, add all the remaining ingredients and combine.
- Season to taste. I suggest you recheck the seasonings before serving.