Makes 4-6 servings as a side dish.
This recipe is an adaptation of a Middle Eastern fragrant rice dish with a touch of sweet and sour taste. The rice pairs well with poultry and meat.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Jasmine white rice
- 1generous cup water
- 8 dried apricot halves, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup dried cherries.
- ½ cup pistachios, toasted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- In a small dish, combine the spices and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan with a cover. Add the onion and sauté covered, over low heat, until onion is soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the spices and the rice. Stir until well coated. Add the water, bring to a boil over high heat, lower the heat and simmer covered for 15- 20 minutes. The rice should be soft and the water absorbed (if the rice is not soft and the water is absorbed, add a tablespoon or two of hot water).
- In the meantime, in a small skillet heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, add the dried fruit and the nuts and sauté over very low heat for 2 minutes.
- When the rice is ready add the fruits, nuts, and lemon zest. Combine well and season to taste with salt.