Makes 4-6 side dish servings.
Farro has a nutty, full bodied flavor and is a good source of vitamins and fiber. It complements most dishes.
- ¾ cup pearled farro
- 1 tablespoon unsalted margarine
- ¾ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 small carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 small parsnips, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup tightly packed flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar, approximately
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place farro, margarine, broth and salt in a small saucepan with a cover. Bring to a boil, over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until the farro is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cut each vegetable into small pieces, except the scallions and pepper, and pulse in a food processor fitted with the steel blade until coarsely chopped. Add to the farro. IT IS BEST TO CHOP EACH VEGETABLE SEPARATELY.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients and toss with the farro and the vegetables.
- Season to taste.