Makes 8 servings.
This soup is delicious and nutritious, with a dazzling color. It’s wonderful on cold days. If you are using a regular blender, it is necessary to blend the soup for a long time to allow for the skin of the peppers to disappear. The alternative is to skin the peppers first, or to use a Vitamix (See Note).
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into cubes,
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed (3 medium to large)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra- virgin olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Leaves from 5 thyme sprigs, plus some for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, approx
- In a medium saucepan heat the olive oil and add the peppers, potatoes and onion. Sauté for a minute. Add 3½ cups of broth, thyme, and saffron. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and cook covered for about ½ an hour or until potatoes are soft.
- Cool a bit. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs.
- Puree very well, in batches, in a blender. The longer you puree it the smoother the soup will be.
- Adjust the consistency as needed, with the reserved ½ cup of broth
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Serve garnished with thyme leaves.
The Vitamix is really quite powerful and creates a creamy texture within seconds.