Makes 3-4 servings.
I love this piquant eggplant dish. Eating it with whole grain crisp crackers enhances the flavor.
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1¼ pounds)
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Place the eggplant in a foil-lined pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, turning once. The eggplant should be soft.
- Cool the eggplant until comfortable to handle. Cut off the stem, cut in half lengthwise and discard as many seeds as possible. Cut into small cubes.
- Coarsely chop the garlic on a cutting board and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt. Using the blade of a knife, crush it to a paste.
- In a medium bowl combine the garlic paste, ginger, olive oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and rice vinegar. Add the eggplant, combine and season to taste.