Makes 6 servings.
This is a silky, creamy and delicious springtime soup, when asparagus is at its best. Before the advent of the Vitamix the soup was a bit time consuming requiring a blender and a strainer to remove the stringy parts. With the Vitamix it is just blending that is required.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 3 pounds asparagus, plus 6 spears for garnish
- ½ pound Golden Yukon potatoes, peeled, sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 sprigs fresh tarragon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in medium-sized covered saucepan. Add the garlic and the shallots and sauté for a minute.
- Hold each asparagus spear with both hands and snap at the point where it breaks off easily.
- Discard that part and rinse and cut the rest. Add to the saucepan along with the potatoes, chicken broth and tarragon.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat and cook covered for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove tarragon sprigs. Puree the soup in two batches in a Vitamix until very smooth.
- Season to taste and garnish with steamed sliced asparagus tips.
This soup freezes very well, but when reheating it, whisk it as it begins to boil to restore the creamy texture.