Makes 4 servings.
This soup is silky, creamy with a touch of sweetness.
- 1 medium butternut squash, about 2 pounds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- I medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ an inch piece ginger, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar, approx.
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Peel, seed and cube the squash. You should have about 4 cups.
- In a medium saucepan heat the olive oil, add onion, garlic and sauté for a minute. Add ginger, butternut squash, nutmeg and 2½ cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes. The vegetables should be soft.
- Puree in 2 batches in a Vitamix until very smooth.
- Adjust the consistency with the reserved ½ cup of broth and season to taste with Balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with toasted pumpkin seeds.