Makes 24 mini-muffins.
I cannot imagine anything simpler to prepare than these muffins. Poppy seeds give the muffins a lovely texture. These sweets are delicious warm, and they also freeze very well.
- 2/3 cup sifted unbleached all- purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces plus 1 tablespoon for buttering the pans
- 2/3 scant cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- ¼ cup sour cream, at room temperature
- Butter 2 mini-muffin pans, 2-inches in diameter, each with 12-depressions.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda directly into the measuring cup.
- Cream butter, at medium speed, adding sugar gradually until mixture is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl from time to time. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract and poppy seeds, combine well with a rubber spatula. Fold in flour alternating with sour cream until combined.
- Spoon tablespoons of batter evenly into the pans and bake for about 14 -15 minutes, side by side without touching. The edges of the cupcakes will be light brown.
- Wait a minute, unmold and cool on a wire rack.