Makes 4 servings.
I love this dish with its intense flavor. Of course, you can reduce the seasonings. I also treat this dish as a meal in itself especially when served with rice.
- 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 medium carrots, peeled quartered, coarsely chopped (See Note)
- 2 medium shallots, quartered, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, quartered coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1½ pounds halibut, or other firm whitefish
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, approx
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, approx.
- In a medium saucepan combine coconut milk, vegetable broth, carrots, shallots, garlic, turmeric, curry powder and crushed red pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, uncovered, stirring from time to time, until vegetables are almost soft, about 8 minutes.
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels.
- Cut into 1-inch squares and place in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the broth to a boil and add the fish. Cover and cook over low heat until fish is JUST cooked through, about 1 minute.
- Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper.
I chop all the vegetables in a food processor. Be sure to quarter them first.